Things You Can Do Here
- Marvel at the White Temple (Wat Rong Khun) a famous landmark that is synonymous with Chiang Rai.
- See the Golden Triangle – the place where Laos, Thailand and Myanmar meets and was once the world’s opium production hub.
- Stroll in a local Thailand-Burmese border market and go for a sightseeing excursion, and watching the hustle-and-bustle of a traditional Thai market.
- Enjoy this Golden Triangle historical tour (that was once extremely rare and dangerous due to the drug operation) with the comfort of knowing that a roundtrip transfer to your Chiang Mai hotel is well taken care for.
- Have a question about your destination in this Golden Triangle tour? Check the tour info below.
Golden Triangle Chiang Mai
- In the north East of Chiang Rai lies the infamous Golden Triangle, an is area where the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar meet.
- This was once the center of opium production and trade in the world. Since the 1950s, most of the world’s heroin came from here.
- But poppy plant farming in the country has drop more than 80 percent now.
The Current Golden Triangle
- The drug trade area is known for its beautiful scenery. A vantage point provides good view of the three neighboring countries, the Mekong river as well as scattered villages and few hilltop temples.
- One way to explore the area is by taking a long tail boat cruise on the Mekong river. A trip lasts about 20 – 30 minutes.
- The area also a museum called The Hall of Opium. The museum records the history of opium and the heroin trade in the Golden Triangle.