Things You Can Do Here
- Enjoy a brisk 20 minutes walk in Borneo’s lush jungle to reach the orang utan center in the Semenggoh Nature Reserve, Sarawak.
- Get up close with the orang utan during feeding hours, and see them as near as possible in their own habitat.
- Enjoy the forest and the tour knowing that a return transfer is included in your trip.
Borneo is a host to amazing, endangered and unique wildlife.
One of the highlight of the island is the orang utan. In this Semenggoh Orang Utan center tour from Kuching, you will get to see rehabilitated orang utan up close in their natural habitat.
Semenggoh Orang Utan / Wildlife Rehabilitation Center
- Opened in 1975, the orang utan center is located 45 minutes away from Kuching, Sarawak.
- Semenggoh is a rehabilitation center for orphaned orang utans (found either due to logging or illegally kept as pet).
- These orang utans are then retrained for jungle life and released to nearby area to thrive on their own.
- As a result, the area is teeming with the species. And while they are wild apes, the ones in this area are used to human presence and interaction.
- The fruit eaters spend most of the day roaming the forest foraging for food. But they will come back to the center during feeding hours.
- Feeding takes place between 9.00-10.00am and between 3.00-3.30 pm.
- Besides orangutans, Semenggoh Nature Reserve is also a habitat for rare animals such as the giant squirrel, pygmy squirrel, gibbons and a variety of birds.
From Kuching City Center