Things You Can Do Here
- See orphaned and semi wild orang utan with their newborns (if you are lucky) in their natural habitat.
- Feel what it is like to be deep in the Borneo jungle without the tough jungle trek.
- Learn about the creature and see how young orang utans are retrain by the experts in Sepilok to be fit for the forest.
- Enjoy the Sepilok rehabilitation tour with a return trip back to your Sandakan hotel.
Located in Sandakan, Sabah ( which is 6 hours away from Kota Kinabalu by bus, or a 45 minutes flight trip away by the same city) lies the famous orang utan rehabilitation center of Sepilok.
If you are in Sandakan, don’t leave without seeing these smart creatures roaming freely in the jungle of Borneo.
About the Sepilok Rehabilitation Center for Orang Utan
- Established in 1964, Sepilok is built to rescue orphaned and abandoned young Bornean orangutans (means man of the forest in the local language) and to teach them to fend for themselves back into their habitat in the wilderness.
- As in other orang utan rehabilitation center, the best time see the orang utan is during their 2 feeding sessions (around 10am and 3pm).
- The walking platform and observation area in Sepilok are built inside a tropical Borneo jungle. Expect wilderness — and mosquitoes.
- Afternoon feeding time usually has less tourists.
- Most travellers come here via pre arranged tours since there is no reliable public transportation serving this area.
- This is one of the most famous and important orang utan center in the world, and attracts not only tourists but researchers all over the world.
From the Sandakan city center