Things You Can Do Here
- Snap photos of the historical site — from the main dome and the Buddha statues to the serene Javanese landscape.
- Optionally, see 2 more historical temples of Pawon and Mendot after your Borobudur trip.
- Enjoy this Borobudur Day Tour with a convenient pickup and drop off service to your hotel.
- Need a better photo opportunity in Borobudur? If you don’t mind waking up earlier, you may join the Borobudur Sunrise Tour instead.
- For a complete tour of the world wonders in Yogjakarta, why not join the Borobudur and Prambanan combo tour during the magical hours.
- Have a question about this Buddhist candi? See the tour info for a brief introduction of the temple.
Borobudur Temple Complex Yogjakarta
- The Borobudur, or Barabudur, is a 9th-century Buddhist temple complex in Magelang, Indonesia.
- Located 45 km way from Yogjakarta city, the complex is considered one of world’s greatest ancient monuments, at par with the Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
- At 2500m square, the Borobudur temple complex is also the world’s largest Buddhist temple.
- The temple is built with nine stacked platforms, and contains 576 Buddha statues.
- It was built on the Kedu Plain, also known as the garden of Java due to it’s high fertility.
- The temple is surrounded by 4 volcanoes (or 2 twin volcanoes) – Merbabu and Merapi and Sundoro and Sumbing.
- Until today, why the complex was built and why it was abandoned is still a mystery as no written records about them exist.