Things You Can Do Here
- See for yourself old ruins, replica ancient ships and intact historical building in the Malacca city center.
- Walk into the remnants of the A Famosa fort, once the bastion of Portuguese defence in Melaka.
- Cruise the Melaka river, once busy with traders from all over the world.
- Walk around the city area and enjoy the traditional dessert and dishes sold around the Malacca street areas.
Melaka City Tour
The historical city of Melaka (or Malacca) is just 2 hours away from Kuala Lumpur. The first UNESCO Heritage site in Malaysia, Melaka is known for intact historical buildings and sites , offering you a glimpse into the city’s glorious past.
In this Melaka City tour from KL, you will be visiting the city center and see for yourself the city that was once called the Venice of The East.
A Famosa Fort
- This is the most iconic landmark in Melaka and one you’ll stop by during your trip to Melaka.
- The building is a remnant of a formidable fort built by the Portuguese after the empire toppled the Malay Melaka Sultanate.
- It was built using 400 slaves with stones taken from mosques and tombstones.
- Used to have 70 cannons, 80 guards and 8 towers 4 storey high.
- The fort protected the Portuguese from the Acheh, Dutch and Johor attacks for over 100 years.
- It only fell after a 7 month blockade by Dutch and the Johor, where 7000 inhabitants were said to die from starvations.
- When the Dutch left the fort to the British in 1795 (due to a treaty) the British decided that it was best destroyed.
Dutch Red Square
- Painted red, this area is was built by the Dutch.
- In the 1650, it serves as the office of the Dutch Governor and Deputy Governor.
- These are the oldest Dutch building in the Orient.
From Kuala Lumpur City Center